Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Toddler on a plane

Ahhhh the first trip with your young very movable toddler. This could be the scariest and best trip you can ever take. My young 14 month old is not a stranger to travel. This was her fourth time traveling. I know that might sound crazy but my husband and I love to travel and we thought that this will not be changing even if our family gets bigger. In times before Madison (my little girl) had done wonderful on the plane. She would sleep and very rarely cried, but only to ask for a bottle. She was happy to snuggle up in my carrier and sleep the whole way there. But this was going to be different. She is walking and moving and trying to make her stay in one spot for more then five minutes (on a good day) was not happening. I went and got everything people said to bring. The activity sets, coloring sets and movies, and new activity toys. This is what I learned about being on a plane with a movable toddler. People are WRONG! Yes, new toys and coloring worked for about three minutes, which sucks on a four hour flight. What REALLY worked... Sleep! I know easy said then done... but an early fight might suck for you the parent but the idea that you and the little one will sleep the flight SO important. We had a 5:30am flight out of Orlando which meant we were at the airport by 3:30am. She slept the whole flight and two hours into the 2nd one. Toys need to be big... They WILL throw them and when they are small forget trying to pick them up. Those planes are so packed full of people trying to bend over with a little one on your lap is not happening. Snacks, snacks, snacks... This is not to help with a hungry baby. But it's something to do! So light snacks, like Puffs. Take them to the bathroom. This gives them a chance to walk or move around and see new people, plus it give you something to do. I would change her diaper every plane ride. There are changing tables in the bathrooms and it might be hard with a crazy rolling baby but it does brake the time. Movies, do help but I don't know about your little one but mine doesn't sit through a whole 25 minute Mickey Clubhouse. So I would tell you to find shorts. Short cartoons that have been put all together on a movie disk, of course somethings that they are into. Also, I would say that finding one that she hadn't seen seemed to help. And Finally... Take off any cute shoes you might have put her/him in. (but bring socks it can get cold on the plane) Madison, would climb and kick and roll all over me leaving me with cuts from velcro and bruises from the shoes. She still would head bump me but it was a small help. As well as taking off shoes, make sure to cut toe and finger nails before taking off with a kiddo in your lap. When the hands go flying those small little nails can really hurt! Another tip is if you can swing the upgrade do it. Most airlines will let you pay to be put in what they call a comfy more leg room seats. Some only have that for the first row or the exit row. (And remember no lap children in the exit row.) I would also not recommend Us Airways, most airlines will let you with small children get on the plane first due to taking longer to board. And trust me you will need this. However, you are Fifth to board with US Airways! After there club members! (I would be fine letting the active military go before me but the first class and club members)  Finally, you must remember toddlers are going to cry and scream. They are going to be mad. Don't let anyone make you feel less of a parent, just because you have a screaming crying baby. They will live and life will go on. Just show them you are trying and they will understand. Good Luck and remember all will be over in 4 to 10 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment